400 Renaissance Dr W
Detroit, MI 48243
FRIDAY, APRIL 5, 2019 | DETROIT MARRIOTT AT THE RENAISSANCE CENTER
ABFE is pleased to announce our 2019 Call for Nominations for the 28th Annual James A. Joseph Lecture & Awards Program and Dinner. This signature event, taking place during our 2019 Annual Conference, “Harambee: Let’s All Pull Together,” will include the keynote James A. Joseph Lecture on Philanthropy, as well as remarks from the Emerging Leader in Philanthropy Award and the Institutional Award for Philanthropic Leadership recipients. To read more on last year’s recipients, click here.
The application deadline is on Friday, February 22, 2019. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your nomination!
In Detroit, we will focus on the major themes of inclusive revitalization, environmental justice and building political power. Specifically, we are looking for examples of how philanthropy addresses these three issues by investing in the core tenets of Responsive Philanthropy in Black Communities and Black-led social change:
- Civic Engagement & Political Power
- Community Organizing & People Power
- Policy Advocacy & Systems Reform
- Economic Development & Economic power
- Research & Intellectual Power
- Communications Narrative & Social Power
- Leadership Development & Strategic Convenings
In the call process, we want to identify, what is working and what shows promise for Black social change. We will encourage idea submitters to share products programs, services & research that advances successful outcomes for Black people, Black households & Black communities. Ideas are welcome from:
- Individual or institutional philanthropy;
- Philanthropic networks;
- Public-private partnerships; and
- Grassroots Leaders powering their community change.
The voices of youth/next generation leaders is also desired.
(Priority for sessions ideas will be given to current ABFE Members)
We greatly appreciate your investment of time in submitting a proposal (or two). Unfortunately, we will have limited time and space, and won’t be able to accommodate all of the submissions. We will select sessions that best fit our vision for the conference.
If selected, ABFE will work with the session curators to create an ideal session for 2019!
- You’ll be responsible for covering your travel costs. Very limited resources are available for speakers that might have limited travel budget.
- Session times, titles & descriptions may need to be modified to accommodate timing & placement in the agenda.
- There might be opportunities to collaborate with another colleague, with a similar submission topic. We ask that you are amenable to collaborative opportunities, should we decide to accept & merge similar concepts.
Deadline: Submit your proposal by FRIDAY, JANUARY 18, 2019. ABFE will contact you within two weeks of closing date whether or not your proposal has been selected.